Day 6 - Talk about a recent experience that has affected you greatly and how.
I think the thing that's affected me the most recently is my grandfather passing away. Not because of death, I think that's something our family's slowly made its grace with over the past ten years, but because of just finding out how he lived. From learning that he ran 3 miles a day when my dad first met my mom, to the love that all of his neighbors had for him - even though he didn't speak English that well, some other surprising family secrets here and there, to the ridiculous war stories, including his favorite of eating 11 mantou and 2 bowls of xifan, or his constant reminder of reading better, living better, or education gives you power, to learning that he donated all the salary he earned at 4-H back to 4-H, I think my grandfather, the more I learn about who he was and think back on how he did live, has become my definition of what a "good" person is, even with all his flaws, and somehow now, I see the world in a better light because of him, and I've got someone to live up to now. I miss gramps, and I wish I was a better granddaughter to him - but I think somewhere up there, he'll be proud someday, and I want him to be. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment